In a garden, one of the most vital features is the quality of the grass that’s there. Many homeowners find that authentic, high-quality grass, which is well-looked-after thoroughly complements the home. However, one popular alternative garden landscape idea
people turn to is artificial grass.
What is Artificial Grass?
Artificial grass is a synthetic alternative to regular grass. It bears a strong resemblance to the real thing and offers substantial benefits that regular turf does not. Homeowners can hire landscape gardeners
to install artificial turf anywhere, from their garden or lawn all the way up to their front porch and driveway
Synthetic grass usually consists of polyethene, which is blended with UV-resistant additives and colour tones to keep the colour consistent.
Pros and Cons of Using Artificial Grass
There are many reasons why homeowners turn to synthetic materials for grass, much like with composite decking
or garden fence panels
that are made from artificial wood
. There are numerous advantages of installing artificial turf in a garden
, but at the same time, there are also some considerations to bear in mind. In the interest of fairness, DPM Design & Build
have decided to outline a few of the pros and cons, which will hopefully prove useful before you go out and purchase.
Advantages of Artificial Grass
- It saves water usage – it goes without saying that synthetic grass can help homeowners save on water bills. Considering areas where the hosepipe ban is in place, natural grass can grow dormant as a result. Therefore synthetic grass is a great alternative; plus it only requires a deep clean two or three times a year.
- No harmful pesticides – real grass can fall victim to moss, and keeping on top of that can be a challenge in itself. Products used to treat moss often contain pesticides, which can pose a hazard to wildlife and humans. While moss can grow on artificial grass (it’s rare), using high-quality moss killer will not affect the aesthetics.
- Both pet and child-friendly – synthetic grass provides a comfortable and safe play area for children. It’s also completely safe for pets, and can be easily cleaned using mild detergent and water.
- There are numerous colours available – you are at liberty to choose colour shades, densities, shapes and thicknesses to give you synthetic grass that complements your garden landscape ideas superbly.
- Weatherproof – artificial turf is weather-resistant and quick-drying, much more so than regular grass.
- Low maintenance – when it comes to garden maintenance, the duties never seem to end. Mowing, weeding, fertilising and more are all hard work, but not with synthetic grass. It retains a consistent and beautiful look all year round. Maintaining a natural landscape garden can be expensive, so this can be a cost-effective alternative.
- No staining – due to being fully synthetic, artificial grass won’t cause any stains to clothes.
Disadvantages of Artificial Grass
The above are just some of the many benefits of synthetic grass, but before jumping straight into purchasing, you should be aware of the following.
- Removes a natural habitat – by replacing your landscape garden with synthetic grass products, you’re destroying a natural habitat for wildlife and insects. However, installing flower beds might partially solve this problem.
- Requires a porous, flat base – some gardens may require extensive groundwork completed before any landscape gardening companies can begin any design work. It’s essential to create a flat, porous base to allow for natural drainage, which significantly improves performance, and prevents blockages. It’s recommended you leave this to landscape gardeners like DPM Design & Build.
- Losing the fresh grass smell – artificial grass doesn’t give off that same smell of freshly-cut grass. While not a problem for some, that smell is a staple of a garden for many.
It’s clear to see that artificial grass is beneficial for some, but perhaps not for others. It’s worth bearing all of the above in mind before you instinctively make a purchase.
Buy Artificial Grass
Here at DPM Design & Build
, we have recently developed our own product Home County Grass. This is our own brand of high-quality long-lasting grass which we have used across Surrey, Berkshire and the surrounding areas for commercial
and domestic applications. If you want a product that’s affordable, high-quality, durable and versatile, speak to one of our team.