When we say ‘follow the yellow brick road’ – what do you think of? Probably Dorothy and Scarecrow, skipping along a luminous yellow pathway, or munchkins singing a lost little girl on her way to the emerald city. But for us, we think of block paving in bright colours. Because at its heart, the yellow brick road is a block paving path, however winding, and this is something we are very familiar with. At DPM, we install a wide range of block paving driveways, and we wanted to share some of that experience with you.
What is Block Paving?
Block paving (which is also known as brick paving) is one of the most common driveway styles in the UK. It involves using blocks or bricks to create a pattern, held in place with sub-base and sand. Once you’ve prepared the ground for your block paving, you simply lay bricks in your chosen pattern before sealing them into place. It’s one of the most simple forms of driveway to install, but it can also be the most effective and beautiful. Because you are choosing your own pattern, you can make a block paving driveway truly unique.
What are the Benefits?
There are a number of reasons that block paving is one of the most popular driveway options in the UK, and a lot of them are to do with the benefits of block paving over other materials. For example:
- Maintenance: Block paving is the easiest driveway style to maintain. It’s simple to clean (just soap and water), and if there is any damage or an issue with the sub-layer, you can simply lift some brick outs, deal with the problem and then replace them – good as new.
- Versatility: Block paving is also incredibly versatile. You can buy blocks and bricks in a wide range of sizes, styles and colours, allowing you to customise your driveway to your own specifications. You can even have your own yellow brick driveway if you want!
- Sustainability: Environmental impact is a big issue at the moment, and lots of people are looking for ways to make their own homes more sustainable. Block paving is porous, which means it will absorb rainwater and stop it from gathering on your patio or driveway, giving you better drainage.
- Durability: Block paving will outlast almost all other kinds of driveway surfacing – it can withstand the pressure of an aeroplane, you can drive over it time and time again with no wear and tear, and it’s highly resistant to most chemicals, oils, salts and frost. You should only need one block paving driveway in your lifetime.
- Looks: The visual appeal of block paving is also a huge plus – because it’s so versatile you can use it to improve the appearance of your home. From simple patterns to intricate designs, you can add value to your home and make it look beautiful.
How Easy is it to Install a Block Paving Driveway?
As we’ve mentioned, block paving driveways are one of the simplest types of driveway to install, which means you can be up and running fairly quickly. There is still some excavation and prep work that needs to be done before your driveway can be laid, which means it might be a week or two (depending on weather), before your driveway is OK to actually rive on. But because the equipment needed to lay it is simpler and the materials cheaper, it costs less time and money to install.
How Much Does it Cost?
As with all landscaping and driveway projects, all we can really say is ‘it depends’. It depends on the size of your driveway, the material you choose to do it with, how many varieties of bricks, if any need to be cut to fit into awkward places or fit into a design, and what company you choose to install it for you.
At DPM, we offer a bespoke block paving service that aims to give you the driveway you want, within your budget. Out experts have years of experience in designing and installing block paving driveways, and will work closely with you to create your ideal block paving driveway. If you would like to know, just get in touch with the team today for your free quotation.